Reporting an Accident

Car Accident by

You are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to stop and exchange information with the involved driver(s). If the accident caused property damage only, then exchange information about your driver license, insurance, and registration with the involved drivers. If a parked vehicle or other property is damaged, or if a domestic animal is injured, you must locate the owner or contact the police.

  • If the property damage of any person is $1,001 or more, all the involved drivers are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to file form MV-104 (Report of Motor Vehicle Accident). File form MV-104 with the DMV no more than 10 days after the accident or contact the police at the time of the accident who be able to respond to the scene and complete the report for you. The DMV can suspend your driver license if you fail to report an accident.
  • If a person is injured or killed, you are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to immediately notify the police. All the involved drivers and the police must file an accident report with the DMV. It is a crime to leave the scene of an accident that causes personal injury or death.
  • The accident appears on the records of all the involved drivers. An accident listed on your driver record does not indicate that you were at fault. The DMV does not try to determine fault in an accident.
  • Copies of accident reports completed by the New Paltz Police Department can be picked up Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. from the New Paltz Police Clerk at 23 Plattekill Avenue, New Paltz, NY 12561. If you cannot make it in during business hours, or live out of the area, call (845) 255-7112 to make special arrangements.